- Set the date and make sure you hold and plan that date for this purpose. You should do this a few weeks in advance if possible. Ask your neighbors if they wish to do it as well that same day to create a bigger buzz in your neighborhood.
- Go around each room in your home or garage/shed and make decisions on what you have always wanted to purge and get rid of. Get your children involved to help pick out items they should also put in the sale. This is not a one person job and you should utilize the whole family.
- As you put them in the garage pre-arrange them by categories to make the last process easier for you. Get your family involved in helping with this to make them feel a part of the sale.
- Advertise in your local paper and with flyers around the area. Make sure you have bright colorful signs on the day of the sale with arrows in the right direction and the correct address and time on them.
- Make sure you start gathering those plastic bags you get at all the stores you shop at, they are great for customers to load their new purchases in.
- Price all like items with the same color tags (tags usually can be found at the dollar store) Make sure all items such as books etc are in the same area and priced in the same colors. This will make your job easier. ou can make yourself a master color note card with the color stickers on the left and the price on the right in case any of the price tags fall off the items.
- Take shifts and make sure your whole family is helping you on that day. Put them in different sections of the garage sale areas to help with the customers and also keep an eye on your belongings.
- Have plenty of change on hand and keep track of what you started with so you know how much you actually made at the end of the sale.
- Don’t keep anything after the sale is over. If something is not sold do not put it back in your home, take it straight away to Goodwill, resale store or any store in your area that will take these items.
If this still overwhelms you but you need to do it, give me a call I would be happy to help and make this a totally stress free experience.